- Why .LGBT?
- Get .LGBT
Transcend was founded in 2016 by two parents of a transgender son. They created the group in response to a lack of resources in the North Iowa area for transgender individuals, hoping that their efforts would make their son’s transition easier and more fulfilling. Soon after, they realized the need for support in the area was greater than anticipated, and Transcend began to grow. What started as a simple support group meeting in one location expanded into three locations, a Clothing Closet, trainings, community outreach, events for the wider LGBTQ community, and more. Transcend is constantly growing and evolving, and we hope to continually find new ways to assist the transgender community.
Transcend strives to provide support for any individual who identifies as transgender, non-binary, or gender nonconforming, as well as those individuals’ families, friends, and community. We support by:
- Holding meetings, events, and activities where individuals can feel safe, supported, and accepted while they learn and engage with their peers;
- Providing education and training to all who seek it, regardless of financial ability, as often as our time and budget allow;
- Offering clothing, accessories, and toiletries free of charge to transgender individuals, as donations allow;
- Assisting with the financial costs of transitioning, such as fees for name change, costs associated with medical procedures, and costs for items such as binders and packers, as our budget allows;
- Assisting with legal processes such as name and gender marker changes;
- Connecting individuals to each other in order to foster a sense of support and community through TransConnect;
- Advocating for transgender individuals in school, medical, legal, and other settings, as they request;
- Advocating for the transgender community by holding community events and trainings.
- Transcend’s future objectives include:
- Obtaining more financial security through grants, sponsors, and donors;
- Training volunteers in order to allow for more available meeting facilitators;
- Holding regular or mobile meetings in locations throughout the state;
- Reaching individuals who require assistance throughout the state and helping them to the best of our ability;
- Securing an office space in a central location in order to more efficiently assist people;
- Purchasing a vehicle in order to provide transportation to meetings, events, and medical appointments for transgender individuals.